Claudia A. Reis
Serving Morristown, New Jersey and Surrounding Areas
Claudia A. Reis joined the firm of Green, Savits & Lenzo, LLC as an associate in 2007 and became a partner in January 2010. Ms. Reis has devoted her legal career to the practice of employment law. While she previously defended and counseled large and small corporate clients as well as governmental agencies on various employment issues, she now focuses her career on representing individuals who have been subjected to unlawful and/or otherwise wrongful workplace conduct.
Ms. Reis credits her prior experience of defending and counseling employers with her ability to assess clients and cases from the minute they enter our offices. This ability enables Ms. Reis to (1) anticipate, strategize, and maneuver around defense counsel tactics and (2) advocate more aggressively on behalf of her clients by being more proactive and anticipating the typical methods used by defense attorneys to stall litigation and/or otherwise intimidate their former employees.
Throughout her career, Ms. Reis has developed a personalized approach to the practice of law. This approach requires that she spend sufficient time with each client so as to understand his/her work environment, job duties, situation, needs, desires, drives, strengths, weaknesses, and damages. Accordingly, Ms. Reis’s professional relationships foster interaction and trust that enable open, frank and honest discussions that serve her clients’ needs in the most efficient, economic, personal, and direct manner.
Ms. Reis’s practice embraces all aspects of employment law, including sexual harassment, discrimination (relating to sex, age, race, sexual orientation, national origin, familial status, domestic partnership status, religion, impermissible gender stereotyping, sex gender identity or expression, pregnancy, disability, liability for services in the Armed Forces), retaliation, and claims relating to both state and federal leave acts and wage and hour laws.
In addition, Ms. Reis provides clients with advice on various employment matters, including, but not limited to, employees’ expectation of privacy in the workplace. She also routinely reviews, revises, drafts, and provides advice regarding severance agreements, agreements to arbitrate, settlement agreements and releases, and personnel handbooks. Throughout the years, she has also successfully tried cases, represented clients in various administrative forums, worked on numerous appeals, and represented clients in mediations and negotiations that were court-ordered, private, and/or required by administrative agencies.
Ms. Reis is a 2001 graduate of Rutgers School of Law - Newark, and a 1995 graduate of Rutgers College. While at Rutgers School of Law, she was a teaching assistant for the legal research and writing program as well as a Notes and Comments Editor for the Computer & Technology Law Journal.
Ms. Reis is a member of the Labor & Employment Section of the New Jersey State Bar Association, for which she currently serves as the Managing Editor of the Labor & Employment Quarterly, and she is also a member of the American Bar Association. Ms. Reis also serves as the President of the National Employment Lawyers Association/New Jersey (NELA/NJ) and is also a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association (federal). She is also a Barrister with the Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn.
In 2005, Ms. Reis also co-taught a Negotiations class at Seton Hall University with the esteemed Lee E. Miller.
Areas of Practice:
- Employment Litigation
- Employment Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- Conscientious Employee Protection Act (CEPA/New Jersey Whistle-Blower Law)
- Federal Family and Medical Leave Act and State Family Leave Act
- Federal Fair Labor Standards Act
- State Wage and Hour Law
- Equal Pay Act
- Prevailing Wage Act
- New Jersey Wage Payment Law
- New Jersey Wage Collection Act
- Expectations of Privacy in the Workplace
- Severance Agreements (Drafting, Reviewing, and Negotiating)
- Employee Handbooks (Drafting, Reviewing, and Revising)
- Counseling and Training (Anti-Harassment, Diversity, and CEPA)
- New Jersey, 2001
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2002
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey School of Law – Newark,
Newark, New Jersey, 2001
- Honors: Teaching Assistant for the Legal Research and Writing Program
- Honors: Teaching Assistant for Constitutional Law Class
- Law Journal: Computer and Technology Law Journal, Notes
and Comments EditorRutgers College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey, 1995
- ‘But for’ is the Straw That Broke the Camel’s Back, Labor & Employment Q, Vol. 35, No. 3 at 13 (May 2014).
- CEPA’s Phantom Exception Why whistling while you work is protected under CEPA, N.J.L.J, Vol. 211, No. 8 at 46 (Feb. 25, 2013) See NJ Law Journal Article 2-25-13.
- The Game Change, Labor & Employment Q., Vol. 3, No. 4 at 52 (May 2012)
- Court Strikes A Nerve After Trying to Strike a Balance, Labor & Employment Q., Vol. 32, No. 3 at 37 (March 2011)
- Get rid of all those dirty Jews, N.J. Lawyer, Supp. at 5, May 28, 2007
- Rost v. Pfizer, Inc., 248 F.R.D. 417 (S.D.N.Y. 2008)
- Cutler v. Dorn, 196 N.J. 419 (2008)
- Quinlan v. Curtiss-Wright-Corp, 204 N.J. 239 (2010)
- Adjunct Professor (Co-Teacher), Undergraduate Negotiations Class, Seton Hall University
Honors and Awards:*
- New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars, Law & Politics and New Jersey Monthly, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, 2002 – Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, 2001 – Present
- Managing Editor for Labor & Employment Quarterly
- National Employment Lawyers Association/New Jersey (NELA/NJ), 2006 – Present
- NELA/NJ Secretary, Amicus Committee Co-Chair, Member of the Board of Directors, 2008-2012
- NELA/NJ President, 2012 – Present
- Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court, Barrister, 2002 – Present
- New Jersey Women’s Lawyers Association, 2006 – Present
- Lisbon, Portugal
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. For Rising Stars methodology, see www.superlawyers.com.
Green, Savits & Lenzo, LLC
35 Airport Road
Morristown, NJ 07960
Phone: (973) 695-7777
Fax: (973) 695-7788
Our employment law firm proudly serves all of Northern and Central New Jersey, including the communities of Morristown, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Edison, Woodbridge, Trenton, and Princeton, and the Counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren.