Most of us have an intuitive sense of what constitutes discrimination at a restaurant, grocery store, or retail store. But recognizing disability discrimination in the world of work may be a little less clear. Our experienced employment attorneys deal with these issues each and every day, so we can help you determine whether you are being discriminated against, especially in violation of federal and state law.
The fact is, discrimination on the basis of a disability or perceived disability can take many shapes and forms. This is in no way an exhaustive list, but examples of this type of workplace discrimination include:
- Requiring a job applicant to submit to a medical examination before an offer of employment has been made
- Asking the disabled applicant to submit to a medical exam without asking the same of other applicants
- Asking a job applicant about their medical history or history of diagnoses
- Refusing to hire someone because of their disability
- Telling offensive jokes about a person’s disability repeatedly, which creates a hostile work environment
- Refusing a reasonable accommodation in the workplace and refusing any reasonable alternatives to the requested accommodation
- Denying or passing over an employee for a promotion or salary raise because of a disability or past health condition
Many discrimination cases are full of nuance. While there are of course obvious examples (such as restaurant staff refusing to seat a person with cerebral palsy at their restaurant), it’s not always clear, especially in a workplace setting. That is why you need experienced employee rights advocates to review the situation. Our attorneys know what to look for and what cases don’t qualify. We have first-hand experience with and extensive knowledge of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Rehabilitation Act, and other statutes that regulate these matters. Furthermore, we are passionate about representing the interests of employees in the state of New Jersey.
To learn more about your options if you believe you are experiencing employment discrimination in New Jersey, please call the Florham Park law firm Green Savits LLC at 973-695-7777. We will review the details of your situation and determine whether an employment rights claim can be pursued.