Employment Attorney at Green Savits, LLC
Jon W. Green is a partner in the law firm of Green Savits, LLC. He currently concentrates in the practice of employment law and civil rights litigation on behalf of employees.
He is admitted to practice in New Jersey and New York, the U.S. Supreme Court, and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Third Circuits. He has been designated as a Certified Civil Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court since 1998.
See Jon Green's Avvo Testimonials Here.
Additionally, Mr. Green has also been involved in a number of ground-breaking appellate decisions in employment law either as counsel of record or as amicus curiae before the New Jersey Supreme Court, New Jersey Appellate Division and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals. Those decisions are listed below.
Each and every year since 2005, Mr. Green has been selected by his peers as a New Jersey Super Lawyer in Plaintiff’s Employment Litigation.* He has also been given the highest rating of "AV" by the nationwide Martindale-Hubble directory for the last fifteen years.
Over his career, Mr. Green has tried over thirty (30) cases in New York and New Jersey state courts and New Jersey federal courts, with about half of them going to verdict. Those cases involved employment law claims, personal injury claims, insurance policy coverage disputes, commercial contracts and leases, residential real estate disputes including boundary disputes and contract claims and construction contract disputes.
Mr. Green’s experience in employment law litigation runs the gamut from wrongful termination, discrimination and retaliation claims, whistle blowing claims, reasonable accommodation claims, employment contracts and hostile work environment/harassment claims. He has obtained favorable trial verdicts in cases of sexual harassment, color and age discrimination and retaliatory discharge against CNA Insurance Companies, Mercedes Benz USA, the State of New Jersey’s Division of Mental Health, and IBM Corp.
Other employment law or discrimination cases that Mr. Green has tried and then settled during trial included a breach of contract claim involving bonus and severance payments, tortious interference with employment claim and a motel franchise termination claim.
Mr. Green is currently a member of the New Jersey State Bar Association. In 2007, he was named Co-Chair of the Electronic Discovery Subcommittee of the Executive Committee of the New Jersey State Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section. He is now the Executive Committee Coordinator of the Civil and Personal Civil Rights Subcommittee.
He has in the last several years given seminars on the nuts and bolts of the cutting edge field of electronic discovery, i.e., obtaining relevant evidence contained in electronic format including emails and attachments, electronic presentations and social media. He has been for over the past decade a Master in New Jersey’s Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court that concentrates solely on teaching new lawyers in the fundamentals of practicing employment law. Mr. Green was inducted as a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers in November 2014.
Mr. Green is also a member of the American Bar Association. He was selected in 2010 to participate in the ABA’s Labor & Employment Section’s Leadership Development Program. He is currently on the Program Committee of the EEO Committee of the ABA Labor and Employment Section. He was previously Co-Chair of the Employment and Labor Relations Law Committee of the ABA’s Litigation Section. He was also Co-Chief Editor of the ABA Employment Litigation Deskbook, in which he co-wrote chapters on Summary Judgment and Trial Preparation. He was also the Co-Chief Editor of the ABA’s Model Jury Instructions on Employment Law that was published in 2005.
Mr. Green speaks and writes frequently about employment law both in New Jersey and nationally.
Areas of Practice:
- Employment Law
- Harassment/hostile work environment
- Whistleblower Claims / Retaliation
- Family and Medical Leave
- Wrongful Discharge
- Employment Contracts
- Restrictive Covenants
- Severance Pay
- Employee Privacy
- Appellate Practice
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney, Supreme Court of New Jersey, Board on Trial Attorney Certification, 1998-present
- New York, 1980
- New Jersey, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1986
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York, 1979
- Honors: Finalist, Jacob Burns Moot Court Competition
- Claremont McKenna College, 1976
- Honors: Cum Laude
- "Employment Litigation in New Jersey", Chapter 1 Co-Author, "Retention of Counsel, Client Counseling and Pre-Claim Fact Investigation", Lexis-Nexis/Matthew Bender 2006
- "Model Jury Instructions: Employment Litigation", 2nd ed., Co-Chief Editor, American Bar Association, 2005
- The Scarlet W, Worth Magazine, February 2005
- "Employment Litigation Handbook" (Co-Chief Editor), Summary Judgment and Trial Preparation Chapters (Co-Author), American Bar Association, Litigation Section, 1998
- "Farragher, Ellerth & Lehmann, Ingredients for a Great Recipe or Oil and Water?", New Jersey Lawyer, No. 196, April, 1999
- "So, What’s The Case Worth? A Guide for Plaintiff’s Counsel", New Jersey Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, Vol. 21, No. 2, Winter, 1998
- "Selecting the Forum for an Employment Case: State or Federal", (Co-Author), New Jersey Lawyer, July/August, 1996
- Rost v. Pfizer, Inc., 248 F.R.D. 417 (S.D.N.Y. 2008)
- DeWees v. RCN Corp., 380 N.J. Super. 511 (App. Div. 2005)
- Delli Santi v. CNA Insurance Companies, 88 F. 3d 192 (3d Cir. 1996)
- Rendine v. Pantzer, 141 N.J. 292 (1995)
- Rathemacher v. IBM Corp., 57 FEP Cases 460 (D. N.J. 1990)
- Green v. City of Jersey City, 177 N.J. 434 (2003) (Lead Amicus curiae counsel)
- Lockley v. New Jersey Department of Corrections, 177 N.J. 413 (2003) (Lead Amicus curiae counsel)
- Holmin v. TRW, Inc., 167 N.J. 205 (2001) (Lead Amicus curiae counsel)
- Cutler v. Dorn, 196 N.J. 419 (2008) (Lead Amicus curiae counsel)
- Quinlan v. Curtiss-Wright, 204 N.J. 239 (2010) (Amicus curiae counsel)
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, Executive Committee Electronic Discovery Subcommittee Co-Chair, 2007-2014
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section Co-Chair, Employment & Labor Relations Law Committee, 1998-2001
- National Employment Lawyers Association Co-Chair, Amicus Committee, New Jersey Chapter, 2002-2008
- National Employment Lawyers Association Member, Executive Committee, New Jersey Chapter, 2002-2006
- Master, Sidney Reitman Employment Law American Inn of Court, 1999 – Present
- Township of Springfield, Chairman, Ethics Committee 1988