A work environment free of discrimination and harassment is guaranteed by law. While we’ve come a long way towards achieving this goal in recent years, workplace discrimination still exists. For many men and women experiencing this mistreatment, it can lead to a feeling of powerlessness and an unpleasant working environment.
Individuals often experience workplace discrimination on the basis of:
- Sexual orientation
- Pregnancy (women often face discrimination when taking maternity leave after giving birth)
It’s important to understand that discrimination based on these factors is illegal. If you’ve experienced workplace discrimination, you have rights.
Legal Protections Against Workplace Discrimination
There are a variety of state and federal laws which protect employees against workplace discrimination. It’s important to understand that while these laws protect against discrimination, they don’t cover issues associated with job performance.
Depending on your specific experience, you may be protected under one of the following laws:
- Title VII – This law was enacted as part of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, and it provides protections against discrimination based on race, gender, national origin and religion.
- Equal Pay Act – This law is part of the Fair Labor Standards Act, and it requires employers to pay men and women equally for doing the same work.
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act – This law protects individuals over the age of 40 from facing discrimination in regards to hiring, promotion, compensation, employment privileges and discharge.
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) – This law establishes protections for individuals with certain qualifying disabilities.
Green Savits Can Help
If you’ve experienced workplace discrimination, we encourage you to contact our attorneys at once. We can help you through this difficult time. Our lawyers have extensive experience handling workplace discrimination cases. We know the state and federal laws which govern these cases, and we’ll aggressively fight to hold your employer accountable for their actions.
Please contact Green Savits using the form on this page or call 973-695-7777 today to schedule a complimentary consultation. We serve clients in Northern and Central New Jersey.